Friday 24 October 2014

Soulmates - concept or reality?...

Soulmates - concept or reality?...

There are things in life that I’ve not given half a thought to and therefore don’t really have an opinion about.  I don’t get why hair goes grey, completely clueless about microwaves and I’m not certain what I think about soulmates.
So when one morning on the train I read an article about soulmates (in the absence of anything better to read), for some reason I became curious; I suddenly wanted to know what defined a soulmate and what the fascination was with the concept in general.
As soon I got to a PC that morning, I put a Sherlock hat on and began serious web investigation. I started with Wikipedia and from there my obsession lasted for another 10 Google pages. Somewhere between ‘dresses for soulmates’ and yet another dating website I got bored. I’d wasted half of my day but still hadn’t found anything remotely concrete.
That night, during a Skyping session I asked my boyfriend if he believed in soulmates. His reply was skilfully vague and politically correct which left me feeling nervous and even more obsessed.
I couldn’t help but wonder, what if Mr Chateauneuf and I had already met our soulmates in our previous lives? Does it mean our relationship is doomed to be the second best? Do two people have to be soulmates in order to have a happy relationship?
That Saturday we had a family breakfast sharing a pot of freshly brewed coffee and the stories from the week before. As the boys were telling us about yet another adventure, he looked at me.
Our eyes locked. The air around us suddenly became electrified; the intensity was surging through our bodies, merging and creating the sparks. The world stopped existing.
It only lasted for a split second. We broke the eye contact, I took a sip from my cup and turned my attention to the boys’ story; I hadn’t missed a thing.
The morning activities carried on - he topped up my cup, and we moved to the usual negotiations with the boys over finishing their breakfasts. And as the family banter continued sprinkled with the laughter and hundreds & thousands, I looked at him and suddenly realised the concept didn’t matter.
We had a sparkle – no make up or high heels, not showered and still wearing the dressing gowns. Right in the middle of a family breakfast, between sips of coffee there was a sparkle.
I had no more questions and I finally put my obsession to rest.
I still don’t believe in soulmates. But in famous words of Mr Big, my newly formed opinion boils down to this: ‘I like the word soul. I like the word mate. Other than that, you got me.’







No comments:

Post a Comment